Sunday, March 1, 2009

Confessions of a TEACHER

It's been a long time since I wrote a blog on Blogger. My most recent blogs are currently in Friendster...well, that's because I'm saving this account for more
"serious" blogs like work, career, programming... But I've realized that I can use this for my not-so-serious articles as well.

Anyway, I have already made a decision to stay in MSU. I chose to stay. It was hard for me because everything was already part of my career plan. I never thought that I would stay this long in teaching because I never dreamt of becoming a teacher. But maybe it's in my genes. I came from a family of teachers - my father, grandmother, my aunts, my uncles...

I took this job hastily in June 2004 because I badly needed to earn money for myself and for my family. (I am glad)I am not one of those fortunate people who didn't need to work to have money. So, though I really didn't want to teach, I took the job, thinking that it was just a "temporary" job. I'll just save enough money to go back to Cebu and look for a job in the industry.

But one thing leads to another. In December of 2004, I applied for a study grant in CHED. Needless to say, I was accepted and I took my Master in IT at Ateneo de Davao, from June 2005 to May 2007. I enjoyed going back to school and being a student once again. It was so much fun and I really learned a lot - not only about IT but also about teaching.

Since I have to render my return service to MSU, I continued teaching. But since my original plan was to work in the industry, I took the PhilNITS exam. I thought that it was a good preparation for me since most employers would recognize the certification from PhilNITS.

In June 2008, I applied as a Software Engineer in NEC Cebu because one of our alumni, Richard Bernat told me that some representatives of the company are coming to GenSan to hire SE's. I took the exam together with my students at East Asia Royal Hotel and got interviewed a few weeks after at Marco Polo Hotel, Davao. I was accepted but I couldn't leave MSU because of my bond. So I told them that maybe I can join in November.

November 2008, NEC's HR officer called me up saying that they are offering me another position - Senior Trainer. And that they want me to join them in April 2009. I was ecstatic! I thought that it was the opportunity that I have been waiting for.

But when the deadline drew near, I got more and more confused. People gave me their own POV's (point of views). Some said "hindi maganda ang timing" because of the current global economic recession. It would be "foolish" to resign from a stable job and work in a private company. Others said that I would grow and learn more in NEC, that I would be able to know and use my full potential in the industry.

I was confused. I knew that both worlds offer great opportunities. But I also knew that I have to make a choice. And I vowed that I would not regret the choice that I will make.

So what made me stay?
I have realized that I loved teaching after all! Yippee! lol... Yeah, this work can be a drag sometimes. Especially when I had to check a lot of papers and compute grades. But it's really fulfilling too. Especially when I see that my students are learning something, when I see them working hard and actually enjoying programming or web designing. I feel happy when I see them succeed in their chosen careers. I feel proud when I see them or meet them in the real world - looking more professional than me - wearing their company uniforms! =)

So now, I have a new vision for myself. I will love this job and I will give it my best shot. üüü

No comments: